Thursday, September 02, 2004

Running Simply To Stay In One Place

Queen Me talks...

Maybe you don't know this, but I'm writing a book. This summer, I had a great time interviewing 10 women ranging in age from 50 to 100.

My dear 100-year-old friend shared an angel story with me. I'm digressing here, but her angel tale moved me so. Annie told me, "I was sitting on my bed and three of the most beautiful creatures you have ever seen were flying over my head. Their colors were vibrant--purple, blue, pink and red. One flew down and knelt on the ground before me, placing her dear little hands on my knees. I reached for her, but grabbed air. The other two came towards me while holding hands with a man wearing a gold crown. Lately, they've been coming more often fluttering above my head." Later that visit, she told me she was ready to go home. With the sudden appearance of angels in her waking life, maybe home is not too far away.

Today, though, I'm more interested in sharing something that "Pinkie" told me. Pinkie is an 83 year old woman, ex Navy gal, that loved to talk about the Red Queen in Alice and Wonderland. Worried about all her children, which included me at the moment, she said, "Here's what the Red Queen said to Alice, 'My dear child you have to run everyday so very, very hard just to stay in the same place.'" Pinkie continued by saying, "You've got so many choices. Today, you can be anything you want to be. But you've got to experience life. Somedays, like the Red Queen, you've got to run and run and never catch up. But, one day you will be in your eighties and have to look back. If you can attain at the end of your active life the knowledge that you gave it your all, you will be successful."

Yoga Queen jumps in . . . .

Okay, so I'll have to remember that the next time I'm in the middle of a normal day, but waiting till I'm 80 is such a long, long time. Ha! See, I have three children under 10. Of course since July, I've been waiting for school to start. Well, thank goodness for Labor Day Holiday so we can sleep in! Church? Ha! That's when we can all catch up on our sleep! And, when is that next summer break? Now my days are filled with stressing about car pools, getting to school on time, cafeteria duty, library duty, supply room duty, pooty duty! Ha! Does it ever end? Did I fail to mention that I squeeze working in there somewhere? Yes, in a wonderful, relaxing aromatherapy bath--any salts will do. Calgon, take me away . . . .

This Red Queen is tired:).

Queen Me wraps this one up . . . .

Of course, we all have Red Queen days. I try really hard to avoid them, though. Later, we'll find a Queen for our site that can help us all do a better job of streamlining our lives. But for now, hopefully the next time I'm in the throws of a long, long run (figuratively speaking, mind you), I'll try to remember Pinkie and her sparkling eyes. You see, I believe that Pinkie got it right.

And, now we're signing off for a long weekend break. Hope all you other Queens will do something fun or at least pamper yourselves. Later . . . .