Tuesday, October 05, 2004

High Roads Are Hard to Take

Queen Me speaks . . .

Where do I start? Had another interesting e-mail. You know the kind that gets your blood boiling a little. Again, to protect the innocent (hhhhmmmm, had to think about that one a little), I will not name any names. But, boy, you should have read the first response I typed. Ouch! Then, a little angel tapped my shoulder and whispered in my ear. “Be nice!” It was actually more on the lines of asking me to “take the high road.” That high road can be so hard to swallow sometimes.

So, I took a few deep breaths and I again typed a response. Okay, much better. And, yes kinder. Of course, there were still a few jabs here and there sprinkled throughout. I decided to sleep on it. Before I even made it to bed, another angel tapped on my shoulder and she said, “Allyn, do you really call that the high road?” Darn it! I had to agree. I simply wasn’t there yet.

I quickly returned to my computer and typed out my final response. It read something like this: “I would be delighted to . . . Simply consider this a gift. Please send me the forms at your convenience.” Now, that my friend was the high road. I feel so much better. With this little lesson (oh, and I’m sure there will be many more to come), I learned it really doesn’t matter if the person high fives herself over my response. I can let her think that her threats and unkind words influenced me. They didn’t. But, in the grand scheme of things who cares!

Now, the trick will be to let it go and with this writing I have (goodbye!).

Speaking of angels, our very own Angel Queen has something to add. We now turn our focus to our children.

Angel Queen shares . . .

It's that dreaded call in the night of, " Mommy, I don't feel good; I'm so hot." So, I have been on call day and night with a sick child and things I want to get done are not getting done and I feel like if I am asked to play Bob the Builder one more time, I will lose it! And I realize that I am losing it; losing the moment which is a gift. A time to be with and play with a child who is growing so fast and who in a few years will not want to spend this much time with me. So, I am up in the wee hours of the morning to work and write and will unpack from my move between coloring and building with legos, and this child and I will live in the moment which has been given to us. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is out of sight as the song tells us. We only have today. This moment. I will enjoy the day (and night) with this child whom I love.

Queen Me wraps up . . .

How true. Recently, my seven-year-old daughter, Addy, has been trying to tell me something. Instead of using her words (as we talk about often), she used tears and whining. The meltdown happened for two consecutive days. Suddenly, my happy little girl didn’t seem happy anymore. Perplexed, I attempted to help her figure out the problem. Over the next couple of days, we had numerous discussions to try to uncover her pain. Pay dirt! Finally, she realized she needed to spend more one-on-one time with her father and me. My first reaction (again, me and my initial response) to this discovery was “You gotta be kidding me.” You see I feel very connected to my daughter and spend lots of time with her, and then briefly wondered where I would find even more time? But, I also realized that much of that time is within the scope of duty. Of course, Addy had the perfect solution, “Mom, let’s have mother/daughter time once a week!” I modified it a little and announced, “We’ll alternate weeks selecting the activity.” Addy loved this idea. “I’ll go first,” she chimed in, “I want us to paint together on the back porch!” Taken a little aback, I smiled. I mean, I was thinking elaborate amounts of time, driving here and there, spending more money. And, all my child wanted was to spend time with me. Returning to what Margaret shared earlier . . .

We only have today. This moment. I will enjoy the day (and night) with this child whom I love.