Wednesday, October 20, 2004

But, You Gotta Have Friends

Queen Me speaks . . .

Friends, friends, friends. Besides offering a warm cozy place to laugh, cry and moan, friends are also an excellent resource. Without a little help from my friends, I wouldn’t have stepped out of the box recently. Just yesterday, I was on the hunt for some wind pants—plastic pants (as I call them) that aren’t lined. I needed them for our upcoming winter tennis play. You see, we live in a community that does NOT have indoor courts anywhere! Simply due to timing, wind pants minus lining were NO where to be found. At the final stop, basically our last hope, my friend blurted out, “Buy the ones with the lining. I can fix them for you!” Wow, what a grand idea. As a domestically challenged individual, particularly in the realm of sewing, it never occurred to me that I could cut out the lining! So, with my a little help from my friends, we found a solution that I wouldn’t have discovered on my own. Heck, I’d still be looking for the wind pants.

Now, march ahead a day. I stop at Applebee’s to grab a quick bite to eat. I’m waiting for the dog to be shaved (that’s another story altogether) and Kinko’s to work their magic. Yep, I’m eating alone. Deciding I needed to go to the restroom, I marched to the back. Upon entering, I realized I had the place all to myself affording the opportunity to pick the cleanest stall. Exiting, I noticed a urinal and thought to myself, “How odd?” Pausing for only the briefest of moments, I quickly glanced around the room and said out loud to know one, “No, I didn’t do that, did I?” Grabbing the door, I looked for the sign. Yikes! I busted out of there and how.

See how important having a friend is? If I’d had one with me, I’d never been allowed to go in there in the first place. Or at the very least, I had a great story to tell after enduring that fiasco and would have probably had them all crying from laughing too hard.

Friends are Queens, Queens are Friends

Before I sign off. Have you noticed there are Queens popping up everywhere? Women, shops, restaurants? Yesterday, in the middle of looking for wind pants, we stopped at a café. Guess what the name of it was? Queenies. If we had stayed for lunch, I might have eaten a Queen Burger! Yep, that’s my kind of place.

Reign on . . .