Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Forum, Smorum. What The Heck?

Queen Me shares . . .

More than you might think, actually. My forum (message board) experiences have all been meaningful.

My first experience with communicating in a group format on-line was a professional association. I was a new member of the Professional Association for Résumé Writers (PARW) and was about 15 months from starting my résumé writing business, but started soaking up the knowledge then. Okay, I lurked around without saying a word, but I still gained much from the knowledge of others. I also recognized that I wasn't the only clueless newbie on the block. Yes, the resource was invaluable and I swear, subtracted years off of my ability to make a profit. Move forward a few years. Wrapped up in résumé writing, I pursued career counseling as an add-on business. Success! I found an on-line discussion group going on via Barbara Sher’s website. Barbara is an author of many "living your dreams," books. Although an intimate group, I found the ideal spot to gain information, support and advice. This time I didn't lurk. I actively participated too. As the years passed me by, I dabbled in a group here and there, but no matter, I always cherished the relationships I developed with the participants. It’s amazing how that happens, but it does. More recently, I found Dotsie's site: http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com and found another place to park myself (to chat, ask for advice and find support).

In all those places, I found a community of people offering advice, support and comfort to others. And, that’s what QueenPower.com would like to offer you—a comfortable spot to gather where queens will find other queens quick to offer encouraging words and share a little humor while offering a soft place to land. It’s our vision that not only will our forum provide fun, entertaining banter, but also helpful information and support. It's our goal to minimize your learning curve and provide resources that jumpstart your life with the added bonus of helping you build a network of friends. Check out our forum and you'll find folks walking along all different parts of their path. Some, as one of my Queen friends calls herself are "Almost There" and others are just beginning. Don't let what others are doing put you off. Instead allow the experiences of others to inspire you!

That’s our intent.

Ready to dive in, then please go to: http://www.queenpower.com/. You’ll see the link to the forum on the main menu or in the Queens Announce section.

Need more enticement, then continue reading.

Many of you have never participated in a forum or message board before and question the benefit. Hopefully, the information above answered your questions. If not, please do not hesitate to e-mail me at: queenme@queenpower.com.

Some express a lack of technical ability and are easily frustrated by the sign up process. We can help you, if needed. I’ll even sign you up, if you’d prefer. Then, all you’ll have to do is login (and I can help you there too). Please, don’t let “technology” stop you from joining us!

Others worry about posting and sharing on-line. Your basic information (name, e-mail) is hidden if you so desire. Create a fun Queen name (or whatever username you'd like) and your identity is perfectly safe. Only you will know who you are unless you wish to share. Some Queens will openly share their identity and others will not. We don’t care. We simply want you to participate and benefit from the forum.

Hopefully, your concerns have been addressed and if you are deciding to pass on the forum, it's only because the idea simply doesn't suit you. Hey, that's perfectly fine! We'll still love you anyway!!!

Again, if you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at: queenme@queenpower.com. There are NO silly questions. I mean it.

For a Word document or text file of the instructions, please e-mail me at queenme@queenpower.com. Write Forum Instructions in the subject line.