Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Super Nanny to the Rescue

Queen Me shares . . .

For all you dog lovers out there . . . looks like Sugar is a keeper. So, what saved sweet Sugar?

Don't laugh. It was a reality-TV show. Let's see, and oh how I hate confess this, but, yes, I get sucked in and watch those shows. This week, it was SuperNanny that grabbed my attention.

Not sure why. And, actually it was more luck than anything. I think it was the Nanny's voice that spoke to me. She told the parents of a two-year-old child who kept the family up way past their bedtimes, "You are the adults here. You can fix this." I thought, Oh yes. I am the adult here. I can fix this! Suddenly with newfound hope, I listened.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, go back and read the blog right before this one. It will tell the tale of Sugar, our seven-year-old pet.

We, just like the two-year's old family, were trapped in the "stay-up-way-passed-your-bedtime" nightmare. And, our nightmare was Sugar. As part of our new nightly routine, the poor baby howled for hours until exhausted. Actually, my other two (hubby and daughter) slept right through it all. But, not me. I suffered with her. Being the one that likes to fix people's pain or at least ease it, I found the nightly sadness unbearable. So problematic, in fact, that I couldn't see keeping her. It was much too painful.

So, Super Nanny to the rescue! After watching the Nanny work her magic, I tried the same trick. It was sooooo easy. Instead of placing Sugar in her bed, closing the door and leaving for the night, I stayed with her for ten minutes. That's it. I sat down by her bed and without communicating or petting her, gave her time to settle down for the night. After she got comfortable, I slowly made my way out of the room. It worked! No more howling:).

Okay, that's one problem solved. There are many more. But, now I can proudly say I'm the adult here and I could fix it!"