Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Substandard Life? You Gotta Be Kidding Me!

Queen Me shares . . .

Recently while flipping through Oprah’s latest magazine, I found the perfect quote. Of course, the words came out of Oprah’s mouth. Just so you know, I have this magazine for research purposes. Well, okay, at first I subscribed because I felt compelled to check out her new offering. And, then every time the renewal notice arrived, I continued to sign up. I justified the expense by convincing myself that one day I’d need to know what to pitch to her. In early November, that day finally arrived. I sent this nifty little query letter that most definitely fit her magazine. Heck, I should know . . . I’ve been getting it for the last three years.

The December issue arrived in my mailbox the other day. Actually, it came only a few days after the rejection letter. Yep! I got the dreaded rejection letter from Oprah! Okay, Oprah didn’t write the letter. “The Editors” wrote me. They said:

Dear Reader:

Thank you so much for sharing your work with us. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept your piece for publication. Due to the sheer volume of mail we receive each day, we are simply unable to give each piece the attention it deserves. For future reference, we regret that we do not accept unsolicited submissions.

Sincerely,

The Editors

What a great letter, huh? Well, I decided not to let Oprah’s wonderful logo go to waste. I typed up my own letter. My letter informed me that I was going to be a guest on the show in September 2005! I cut and pasted my letter onto the one Oprah’s staff sent me. It’s hanging on my office wall. Daily I am inspired about my upcoming appearance:). Oh yes, it is signed by none other than Oprah’s TV “Production Staff.”

Okay, I digress. So anyway in the December issue, Oprah said, “We have to keep transforming ourselves to become who we ought to be.” And, I thought to myself, Oprah and I are on the same page. My . . . how amazing that we think so much alike. Her quote sums up the premise supporting Queen Power. It’s that simple, really. It’s about transforming ourselves so that we can become everything we are destined to be. We weren’t placed here to live substandard lives.
Oprah had more wisdom to disperse, “Transformation doesn’t happen unless you’re willing: It’s your choice.” She’s right. Our step toward a better life is a choice. We either do it or don’t do it. There’s nothing to measure, though. It’s not about how far you go once the choice is made. It’s about the journey—the transformation. It’s about opening up and accepting what Caroline Myss said in her recent book, Invisible Acts of Power, “Take the riskiest path you can find—it’s an illusion. The safe path is the real illusion.”

As you gracefully move into 2005, set your sights higher. Make a choice to live your best life. Shun the road that makes you tired. It’s the path that feels heavy and so wearisome. Instead, take the path that feels lighter. The one that makes you dance.I believe we are here for a reason.

As each day unfolds, we see less of the shadow and more of the sun. —Heartline: A Division of Hallmark Cards

Reprinted from the Queen-zine (12/15/05 issue)