Wednesday, February 02, 2005

A Dog Day

Queen Me shares . . .

Sweet Sugar is still thriving. Although the smell of her breath was a major clue, the rescue folks had warned us her teeth were in terrible condition. What started out as a simple procedure (to clean her teeth) turned into some major dental work. Now minus her front teeth and several more, she's as cute as ever:).

The most difficult part of my day, though, started on the drive to the vet's office. We have a neighborhood dog, Sadie, that loves to chase cars. Our friendly Sheltie has avoided harm for over two years. As typical, she chased me out of the neighborhood. Next came my husband. Darting out to catch up with him, Sadie never saw the truck and trailer coming from the other direction.

My husband knowing that I was just over the hill and on my way to the vet, called me. I quickly whipped my car around to see if Sadie could be helped. Once near the scene, I glanced towards Sadie thinking it didn't look good. Parking my car, I ran to a workman who witnessed the accident. "Nope. That dog is dead. She died right away. My foreman pulled her off the road and is now going to tell the owners." I looked again over at Sadie. I could tell he was right. Then he added, "Made my foreman cry."

Of course, made me cry too.

Later that day I found out the foreman not only pulled the dog off the road and notified the owners, but he carried the dog to their house and helped a mother and sick child bury her.

Sadie will be missed.