Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Seeking Sela

Queen Me shares . . .

This month I’ve had fun (and sometimes not much fun) seeking advance praise blurbs for Grab the Queen Power. The fun part was reconnecting with my author friends in cyberspace. Almost every author I asked read the book and decided to submit blurbs. Their responses overwhelmed me—and that was a good thing. Now, I’m after back cover blurbs. Already, I’ve had a well-known author agree to read the book and, if she is so inclined, submit a review blurb for me. So that is most exciting!

And now I’ve set my sights high. I’m going after Sela Ward. I read her book, Homesick: A Memoir while writing Grab the Queen Power. Much of what she said resonated with me. Both Mississippians, our stories in regards to our feeling of family and community were similar. So, I decided to go for it. You know, see if I could find someone that knew someone that could reach Sela.

The someone was closer than I thought! My Dad ended up having a business associate from Meridian, MS (Sela's hometown) who had worked closely with Sela on some community projects. Yippee! Soon I was on my way.

Last Friday my mother called me with a phone number. Through the contact, she had gotten the number of Sela’s publicist. You’d think I would be excited about this. Actually, I was a little bummed out. With the help of our very own Queen of Information, Marie Roker, I had the address of Sela’s manager, and well, I actually thought that might be a better connection than the publicist. Of course, I had no way of knowing that, though. But I persisted. I decided to call the number. I don’t know about you, but I hate making cold calls. So I put it off for a day. Then I wrote out a script to help me ‘sell’ myself. I practiced. And then I bravely picked up the telephone.

I dialed the number. I waited. A female answered the phone. I really couldn't understand what she said and thought to myself, hmmmmm, this doesn't sound very professional, but I knew I must proceed. So I cleared my throat and said, "May I please speak to Joe?" The lady responded, "Who Joe? This is Chinese restaurant!"

Well, not one to give up easily, I verified the number with my mother. Oops! I had inverted the numbers. So after practicing a little bit longer and then wiping off my sweaty palms, I tried again. This time I heard, “We’re sorry. You have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service.”

You gotta be kidding me?!

The story does have a happy ending though. I now have a ‘real’ mailing address. Of course, it will probably go to an Assistant, Publicist or a Manager, but maybe, just maybe my note and manuscript will reach her! I’m sending a little Queen Power dust for good measure before I zap it off using the US Postal service.

No worries. I will keep you posted:).

9/8/05
It dawned on the other day that I never updated you on the Sela Ward story. The ending isn't happy. Darn. Yes, she received the manuscript! So, I did have the right address. But her filming schedule prevented her from helping me. I actually got the call as I headed to Dallas, TX this summer for a book signing. No, Sela didn't call me, but her personal assistant did. When the call came in ... I had to smile. I might not have been successful, but I did reach an untouchable without too much effort. Isn't America beautiful?

www.queenpower.com
www.queenpower.com/CrownAtude.html