Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Time for FlyLady?

Queen Me shares . . .

Last week Queen Camellia, Donna Warner, wrote an article for the Queens Write About Writing blog about the FlyLady.

Although I had heard of the FlyLady, I didn’t know her methods. Well, for Donna, her methods were the key to figuring some things out. She explained, “Flylady suggested I could reclaim my life in five, ten, and fifteen minute increments, beginning with cleaning my sink. I gave it try. And it’s worked for a week. Not only worked, but it’s fun. When I do something for fifteen minutes, I really can see the result; I don’t experience the trapped feeling that the task will never get done, and will just have to be done over again anyway. Now I look forward to the next time I can do a little more. It’s true. Where I saw weeds, now I see the possibility for zinnias.”

Then some time last week, Nicole Williams (our Queen-zine editor) and I were exchanging e-mails. I responded to something she said by writing: “Three cheers for the queen!” Nicole wrote me back saying, “Three years for a Queen? I hadn’t heard that yet . . . Well, that takes some pressure off of me. I still forget sometimes that I don’t have to fix everything overnight! Hearing this makes me want to sit down and make a three year plan!”

What? I thought. I returned to my inbox to find the e-mail. Yep, I had written “Three years for a Queen” instead of “three cheers.” So rather serendipitously, I discovered something.

Time seems to be a major inhibitor, or rather, the idea that all must be fixed immediately stops us cold. I’ve been a victim too. Donna seemed to be freed by permission to do something in fifteen increments. Nicole found relief knowing that “it takes three years to make a Queen.”

And as Donna recently shared with us, “This week I have not been stopped by dust in the corners, or my usual lament, not enough time to do it all. Flylady suggests taking baby steps and utilizing small increments of time. It works for dishes. And I must ask myself, if zinnias are possible, why not essays? Or books?”

I too must ask myself. If it works for dishes, then doesn’t it work for book promotions too? Sure it does. And if it works for such things like dishes and books, then most certainly it works for becoming more queenly. Ahhhh. There’s still hope for me.

© Allyn Evans 2005
www.queenpower.com