Wednesday, April 06, 2005

You Gotta Have Friends

Queen Me shares . . .

Here's the truth. I am a loner. Well okay, was a loner is more like it. If you met me, you might be surprised by that fact. For starters, I am quite the extrovert and have always been that way. For example, going to a party filled with strangers never bothered me. I knew how to socialize and make friends, and up until college, I didn’t have any problems. But as I matured, I lost site of the necessity and actually forgot how to form a meaningful bond with other women. Oh, I made a few here and there, but my close female friends were few and far between. I remember once in college, my younger sister (by 10 years) visited. She accurately observed: "Your telephone rings all the time, but it's never for you. Do you have friends?" How do you respond to that? I lived with a roommate that had more friends than she could effectively manage. I, on the other hand, managed mine quite well. Thank you very much.

But at some point, while transitioning from child to adult, I had decided I was better off without friends. Don't get me wrong. Like I mentioned previously, I had friends sprinkled here and there. And my mother always encouraged me explaining, "Allyn, you are simply one of those people who can count all her friends on one hand." Yep. That described me, all right.

Not having friends, though, makes the journey much more difficult—the road long, very long. I know because that was the route I took. Simply put, it was easier if I did it by myself. And well, I usually did. Having friends not only meant I had someone to share fun, laughter and sadness with, but it also equaled more responsibility. Basically, it added to my "to do" list. Yikes! How scary is that?

Friends will come and go, but I think you will find they will drift into your life when you need them the most—if you are open. That's the key. You have to decide if you are better off having friends than not. Boy, I am not looking forward to my life review (after I die:); I'm sure I'll be shown so many missed opportunities for having meaningful relationships. But, that's all behind me now because my 'friend arms' are wide open (and so is my heart). You see, I now have to use my hands, my feet, and a calculator to count them!

For more blogs, go to: www.queenswrite.blogspot.com or www.queenswriteaboutwriting.blogspot.com.

For our main queendom, visit: www.queenpower.com.